Thursday, April 30, 2009

What's your opinion about Miss California?

So I recently heard about Miss California and her answer about same sex marriage and thought it was important so I decided to write a blog about it. Miss Californias answer was that "in my country and in my family, I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman -- no offense to anyone out there." The first part that I don't get is her saying "in my country" her country? I thought we all lived in The United States, I mean she was trying to be Miss U.S.A. They even said that if it wasn't for that answer then she would have won Miss U.S.A. I'm not very sure on what my opinion is of this controversy. I believe in same sex marriage and i think it should be legal in all states of the U.S. but i also feel that its okay to speak your opinion. I think Carrie Prejean (Miss. California) could have worded her answer differently by stating what she believes but by not making it seem like that's the only way it should be. It's okay to have a opinion as long as you don't limit it from everyone else and making it sound like it's not alright to feel a certain way. Prejeans answer has hurt a lot of people including myself. She also stated that if she was to be able to answer the question again she wouldn't have changed her answer because she wanted to say what she really believed. I think that's fine but when you're on national TV especially trying to win Miss U.S.A you might want to consider everyone elses feelings and not just your own.

5 comments:

  1. When I first heard about this I was pretty conflicted about it also. On the one hand I think that people should be able to believe what they want to, but I also think that they shouldn’t try to impose that view on others. At first I thought that Perez Hilton went a little overboard in his accusations about Carrie (of course it’s easy for me to say that since I am straight and have never had to personally deal with homophobic remarks), but then I re-watched her answer and heard that she is now working with the National Organization for Marriage and realized that she’s gone too far. It is one thing to state your opinion when asked a question but it is something completely different when you start campaigning to have that belief forced on everyone. While in the beginning I was mainly confused about Carries answer to Perez’s question (I mean since when has heterosexual marriage been “opposite marriage?”), and less worried about her answer, I recently read (on http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jXbpPgZ9rkS-z8Prv2lT2YREFXzgD97SPGHG1) that she is visiting Washington to help start a campaign opposing same-sex marriage. This is utterly ridiculous. Carrie needs to stop forcing her beliefs on other people and go back to whatever it is she did before the Miss America Pageant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that everyone is entitled to their own opinons but I also think that there is way to express your opinons without offending other people. I think the way that Miss California expressed her opinon was offensive. Her country? If you live in this country then it is just as much "yours" as it is the stranger sitting next to you. The way that she said her views on gay marriage could be offensive. If your a person thats in the public then you should be more concious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched this argument on the news and thought it was very interesting. Everyone is entitled to their own views in life and that includes marriage. She was brought up in her house thinking that it was unacceptable. When this question was addressed to her, she told the truth about her opinion on it. When your "Miss California" or "Miss USA", etc. you are not supposed to lie so why lie about something she doesn't agree with. I do not like the fact of her saying its "her country" when everyone knows its not. I think her competitors question didn't compare to hers, so the other girl had it in the bag after that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that she gave an honest answer and I agree with it. I think that people should not be judged on how they feel about something when they were asked to state their opinion. In my opinion people pick out too much of the negatives rather than looking at all factors. Why should just her opinion even matter to so many people. We all have different views on this subject so what really is the big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't believe that she should have been bumped out of Miss U.S.A. just for her comment. It was a little unfair to said "my country", not because she was trying to make it seem that it was hers and no one elses, but because this country is based on freedom. Choices are available to everyone so for her to say that the U.S.A. is only for traditional male and female marriages, would seem unfair. It made her seem divided from the other part of the country that is for same sex marriage.

    ReplyDelete