Thursday, April 30, 2009

"Save Second Base"


So, I was on feministing.com and saw a blog about a campaign that is done every year at Princeton University, the student group Princeton Against Cancer Together holds an event called Manicure for the Cure, where they bring in beauty school students to do manicures for Princeton students in the days leading up to spring formals. Formals were that weekend, so advertising for manicure for the Cure are all over campus.But manicures for cancer is not the problem here, their slogan "Save Second Base" is. Second base as many do know is foreplay involving breasts. This fundraiser was for breast cancer and even though the slogan annoyed people no one said anything about it because they figured they were doing something good for cancer. Then this year are offering massages in addition to manicures to get the men involved. To advertise these services, they made posters that said: "Gentlemen: Save Second Base." "And that is when the proverbial poop hit the fan" says Chloe Angyal. I think breast cancer should at least be one thing that shouldn't be selling sex to men. I mean it's cancer for goodness sakes, it just attacks the breasts. And finally, we're not trying to save women's breasts were trying to save their lives.

6 comments:

  1. Sex is the way that most people figure is the easiest way to get peoples attention when they are trying to sell a product or idea. The fact that this school found a way to use sex as a marketing tool and not use women as the symbol is fantastic, but not so much with that slogan. I feel that this school could have found a better slogan to use that would be just as effective in catching peoples attention, because breat cancer is a serious matter that a lot of people feel very strongly about and would be outraged if they knew that it was almost being used as a joke to get kids to raise money for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have NO problem with this ad. Whatever it takes to make men open up and join the campign to fight breast cancer is okay with me! My family is filled with survivors and those not so lucky to survive from this deadly diease. My mom was diagnosed about 3 years ago and is still battling, my grandmother is a survivor, all 4 of my aunts are survivors, but my great grandmother is not. I want to stop the evil cycle and help women everywhere fight this diease! Whatever we can use to get the attention of men will help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think htis is great marketing, sex sells. I believe any way to raise awareness is good. Maybe it will also help guys realize they can get it to, or be more aware when they do go to second base. I agree with Sarah's comment, get everyone's attention on matter what it takes. In men's magazine there should be a picture of a women examing herself and big bold letters saying, Keep Looking For The Cure. Raise awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, breast cancer is a very serious condition but if this actually caught people's eyes then let it be. Everyone knows that sex sells so sayings like those help catch peoples attention. I feel as if the "Save the ta-tas" ads or bumper stickers are very eye catching and I don't see anything wrong with that saying, but I'm sure others will differ with their opinions. '

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sex seems to be the reoccuring ad that gets peoples attention. It certainly would catch the eye of men, but obviously it also worked for the women. They could have stuck with the "Save the Ta-tas" campain instead of "Save Second Base" due to the fact that it degrades women to where they feel as though, yet once again, their breasts are only an object for men to achieve "second base".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. I can't believe they would have chosen such a name. The important word in breast cancer is CANCER! These women are fighting for their lives! I see how using this slogan would have attracked men, but that doesn't make it okay. How about attracking men by telling them that the next victim of breast cancer might be a woman they love.

    ReplyDelete